1.25.2009

since sliced bread

metallic, gel-infused asics kayanos are pretty great. jeri told me so.

she and jane also told me i should run the ragnar relay: 204.2 miles from prescott to mesa in 24 hours. [ha! we will just see about that, won't we.]

i've become such a sucker for peer pressure in my post-adolescent years. it's just so trendy, this running bidness, but i committed anyway. [much to the detriment of my joints and "the girls"- there's just nothing to keep them from the violent jostling, no matter what tyra says.]

12 runners + 2 vans + sleep deprivation - sanity = the ragnar del sol.

and let me be clear, i am not a runner. i've hated running ever since the first time ms. b--- made me run the timed mile in 7th grade. i came in last every time and i've mostly participated in only forced running since then with the help of coaches, fear, or misconstrued ideas of becoming thinner.

in fact, before this ragnar phenomenon, i can easily say that i have not run a lick since moving back to the valley in december '00. [i don't know, something about concrete and heat being so unmotivating after running the trails of flagstaff and maybe the birthing of a couple boys.] but this relay "training" has shed new light on the jogger deep, deep down inside of me.

i've actually begun to like running, [although the word-run, is a little too ambitious, jogging is more fitting] and not just the stopping part. it's my me time. where i don't have any kids or housework leering at me, i can finally listen to that new music i just downloaded-uninterrupted, i'm not staring at a screen, and i'm still doing something productive and healthy for myself.

i've even worked my way up to 5 consecutive miles. yay, me!

i've come a long way, ms. b---.
run - AIR

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, did I hear you say that you like running...

Ha! I told you so. Glad to hear it. Can't wait for Feb. 27th.

Anonymous said...

Right, and the shoes look fabulous.

Tanya Leigh said...

5 miles! You so totally rock! - how long have you been working on that? I was way proud that I could run a consecutive 3. :P

windee said...

Yay Faith! I haven't gotten to the part where I like running yet. I hope to get there before the 27th.

Unknown said...

HHMMMM, who could Ms. B_ _ _ be? Hmmm...!

Way to go, and bon chance!

Dewitt's said...

so you said ms.B and I automatically thought ms.D----s cause she was ms. "B" and had me running out of fear and I was ALWAYS last! ha! if she could see me know!

Dewitt's said...

aw man i mean NOW

Mara said...

"the girls".... love it!
All I am going to say to all ya all who think this is smart.... good luck!!
Actually, very proud of you for getting up to 5 miles! Well done...

Mara said...

And Sara.... soooo funny and sooo typical! Its cute you know!

The Gerard Family said...

You go girl!! Way to go up to 5 miles. Its all about the right shoes and running is totally a mind thing.

Sommer said...

Im running the ragnar from Logan to Park City... ours is only 181 miles! Good for you Faithy!

Jen said...

Faith!!!
You have crossed over to the dark side... 5 MILES!!! (Remember when we went running with Jeri and you and I quit after a quarter of a mile and she flipped us off until we couldn't see her anymore? Yeah, I am still at that quarter mile mark.) I am actually kinda jealous. Maybe I just need to buy those damn shoes and I will get over my hatred of running.
Nice job for you, though.

Rachel said...

i'm still trying to wrap my head around WTH we're doing. but yay for us! i'm so happy you're enjoying it, you're enthusiasm is rubbing off i think.

jen's comment cracked me up, i can totally see jeri flipping you off 'til she couldn't anymore. funny!

jfbast said...

jeri- that's right. that's what i said. i like it, ok?

tanya- i'd say i've been working on that since around november-though not diligently.

anna - b---, rhymes with . . . ;)

sara - ha! mrs. d----- is ms. "b"

sommer- faithy? have you been talking to my dad? is that the wasatch ragnar? good for YOU! our relay started out at 180-something miles and then they upped it on us AFTER we registered. it was a dirty, dirty trick.

jen- i don't remember that specifically but it sounds about right! :) i think you totally should get yourself some super fly kayanos and join us next time. alicia [aka Gerard Family above] is right, it's totally a head game. you could SO do it. if I can, you can.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I would've flipped you off. It must have been Jane.

jfbast said...

gosh, anonymous, why do you say so?

Jen said...

I am pretty sure it was "anonymous" that did the flipping.