9.01.2008

labor day

although the day is supposed to be one of rest for all those working like dogs, we spent labor day weekend laboring.

joe found this iron screen door at a garage sale somewhere and when he brought it home i'll admit i was skeptical. but now it's sanded, mounted, painted, sanded again, and hey! not bad. in fact, i rather like it. and i got to change the color of my front door which i've always hated, but picking the color you like is much more difficult than knowing which ones you don't. my someday house is definitely going to have a red door, but the typical arizona muddy-brown exterior of our present house doesn't agree, so i went with blue. i'm so tired of the dull, dull, dull colors we have here so i picked a brighter blue which looked great on the paint sample and worked well as long as it was in the shade. but then when the light was hitting it directly it seemed to look a bit like it belonged in a preschool.

later in the day we went to a birthday party for my nephew where my suspicions were confirmed. the color of gabriel's cookie monster cake seemed dangerously close to my front door.

evidence:

nothing says welcome to my humble abode like, "C is for cookie".

joe said he'd love to repaint it for me as soon as hell freezes over, so we'll be keeping it for a while anyway*. i guess he gets a say being that he did 90% of the work . [ i did help paint.] not only does my man bring home the bacon, he even works for me when he comes home. and on labor day no less, so here's a big labor day salute to my working man.

i hope your holiday weekend was less laborious and more successful.

*i'm open to any suggestions on what to do here that doesn't require fully repainting. i was thinking a wash or something? help.
working man - CCR

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually like the blue alot! Can you show a photo of more of the house so we can see the contrast?

Rachel said...

i like the blue. i want to see it in person. i wonder if you want to invite me over for dinner?

i agree 100% that it's easier to know which colors you DON'T like, than to know which ones you DO.

Mara said...

I think it looks....Miss perfectionist!! I know how it is to want it exactly as you pictured it though!

Mara said...

I left out the work good! I think it looks good...

Mara said...

oh my goodness, WORD, meant to write word not work! Door-looks-good! Thats all I wanted to say! Its obviously past my bedtime - Goodnight!

Dewitt's said...

lol Mara!

I like the blue, or maybe its a great pic. but i will see it soon enough! Dinner? I am with Rach! ; )

Joe your the man!

Kim said...

I too think the blue looks good. I like the screen door also. Very cool.

jfbast said...

val- i tried taking pictures of it with the rest of the house but since it's under the covered porch it just turns out black.

i added a little black tint to the paint and did a water-down coat over the top. i think it looks a little better, but you've got to see it in person. sure, dinner anytime girls.