my grandmother makes handmade quilts. lots of them. in fact, she has made each and every one of her offspring a quilt-i should probably add in here that she has lotsa offspring. i've actually lost count, can somebody help me out? last i remember it was around 175 or something. and that was a couple years ago and Crosby's multiply, well, like rabbits. so to make my point, that is an amazing undertaking. when i was still single at the ripe old age of 25, i worried that i never would get married. not only for the dying alone factor, but because that is when grandma gifts her quilts. she has them made in advance with your name safety-pinned to the quilt made especially for you. sometimes in a large family you feel like you might get lost amongst the crowd, but with that one gift she reminds you that she doesn't forget anyone.

this morning i was lying on my bed looking at my quilt-hundreds of tiny scraps of material pieced together to create art. i looked at the individual pieces wondering what other masterpieces she had made with those prints. and in light of the current wildfires in california and in the economy i thought, if i were to be evacuated right now, i'd be sure to grab this, if nothing else.
we've got a firebox to protect our valuables. just as soon as we acquire something valuable we'll be sure to make good use of it. i guess it does have a couple documents in it, but you know you can request new copies of those from somewhere, i would bet. pictures? joe and i have discussed the need to rescue our computer tower in case of emergency, but really, most of our stuff is or can be backed-up online these days. so that leaves just a couple other things...
6 comments:
man, i love this. and i love love love the pic of grandma and the quilts! i, too, looked forward to my quilt. it's home is paige's bed and we talk often of where the quilt came from. love it!
Love the picture of Grandma! She made quilts for all of her grandchildren (boys and girls). I love mine to death and have it hanging on a quilt rack. I also have a quilt made by Grandma Jarvis and both of those quilts I would grab if there was a fire. I called my mom and grandma has 42 grandkids, 110 great grandkids and 1 great great.
That was a sweet post Faith! Love it and the photo.
I think we recently had a conversation relating to this, as I use my quilt for occasional picnic's. I too LOVE my quilt, for all the reasons you described (especially not feeling lost in the numbers, and the special work and art it represents) and by using it for special picnic's you felt possibly I didn't. I have always felt something you love dearly should be used and remembered on a daily basis, not to be on the side waiting until a "special" occasion. I LOVE it as a picnic quilt, but alas, I am feeling guilty that it will wear out all to soon and I will regret it. Maybe I will reconsider the use of my quilt.
Again love the post faith.
can i just add a "holy cow!" to the number of descendants? wow.
noted. thanks windee.
btw- i didn't take that picture of grandma with the quilts. i'm not sure who did, but i love the swing, too.
LOVE HER! *tear* do I even have to say it...I LOVE MINE TOO!
Post a Comment