12.17.2007

80 Years Young

Last night the boys and I went over to my Aunt Debbie's house to celebrate the 80th birthday of my grandmother, (Nana, to the boys) Adelia Shumway -who is also my namesake! (Adelia is my middle name.) More than her name, I also share her love for photography, reminiscing and parties. Grandma threw great parties for us as kids, going all out with decorations and activities. And on our birthdays, she would spend an entire day with just us, taking us someplace interesting. That's not easy to do with so many grandkids, but she managed it somehow and those are very special memories for all of us. Born in 1927, she has lived an interesting life and has many stories to account for. Aunt Debbie threw a great party with an amazing spread of foods that my grandma remembers fondly from her upbringing...warm nuts, homemade bread with honey, berries and cream, lemon drops, apple crisp, etc., etc. and her mother was from Germany, so of course, German chocolate cake! Happy Birthday, Nana!

These are a couple favorite pictures of Nana in yesteryear.


Dede with her brother and parents in Indiana 1939 - Adelia Huggins, 19 yrs. old

young at heart - frank sinatra

2 comments:

granny said...

I like your music.
Your kind words are so appreciated.

My only concern is...
am I really worthy of them?

This thought I found so well expresses my feelings about those kind and tender words you have expressed here.

"Sometimes it takes another person to help us appreciate what we have, and to show us that nothing is impossible if we beleive in ourselves.
For me that other person is you--
and I just want to say
"Thank You"."

Tanya Leigh said...

Faith, what a neat post! I had such a fantastic time visiting you (and the rest of the fam ;) Grandma-you're SO worthy of these words, and MORE!

Missed you at the fam Christmas party :( Merry Christmas!